1 entry found.
Common Name: Beech
Botanical Name: Fagus sylvatica (FAY-gus sil-VAT-i-ca)
Decorative Life: 5-7 days.
Post Harvest Care
- Remove bottom leaves if present, recut stems under water and place into a hydration solution or water plus regular household bleach at 20 drops (1/4 teaspoon) per quart.
- Member of the Fagaceae (beech) family.
- Native to Europe.
- Two common relatives are chestnut and oak.
- Egg-shaped purple leaves with prominent veins to 4 inches long occur on woody stems.
- Plant is a deciduous tree, classed as a dicotyledon.
Availability: Spring, summer.
Flower Color: Not applicable.
Storage Specifics: 36-41F.
- Specific epithet name "sylvatica" means "of woods". Variety 'Atropunicea' is the copper beech with purple leaves.