1 entry found.
Common Name: Amazon Lily
Botanical Name: Eucharis grandiflora (YOU-kar-is gran-di-FLO-ra)
Decorative Life: 7-10 days.
Post Harvest Care
- Remove bottom leaves if present, recut stems under water and place into a fresh flower food solution.
- Susceptible to chilling injury.
- Member of the Amaryllidaceae (amaryllis family).
- Native to Colombia and Peru.
- Related species include onion, Narcissus, Nerine, Zephyranthes.
- Tubular flowers with flared petals and a central cup to 3 inches across occur in a cluster of 3-6 at stem end.
- Stems leafless, to 12-18 inches long.
- Plant is a herbaceous perennial from a bulb.
- Flowers have sweet fragrance.
Availability: Hard to locate, no regular times.
Flower Color: White.
Storage Specifics: 45-59 F, individual flowers stored dry in airtight boxes and misted with water.
- From Greek "eu" (good) and "charis" (attraction), in reference to the blooms.
- The specific epithet name grandiflora means large flowers.
- Used in corsages and wedding arrangements.