1 entry found.
Common Name: Sneezeweed
Botanical Name: Helenium autumnale and H. spp. (he-LE-ni-um a-tum-NAY-le)
Decorative Life: From 12-16 days.
Post Harvest Care
- Very little data available but water stress likely. Therefore, make sure this species is recut under water and keep the vase or bucket solution clean.
- As a member of the Compositae (aster) family, it has many relatives including zinnia, chrysanthemum, sunflower, cosmos, lettuce, endive, tansy, dahlia and dandelion.
- It is native to North America.
- It is a perennial up to 5 feet tall, branched with leaves that are about 6 x 1.5 inches.
- Flowers are tightly clustered in about two inch diameter heads, ray florets 10-20, yellow.
Availability: Late summer - fall.
Flower Color: Yellow.
- From the Greek "helenion" for an Old World plant (perhaps Inula helenium), said to have been named for Helen of Troy.
- Its specific epithet name "autumnale" indicates at what time of the year it naturally flowers.