1 entry found.
Common Name: Privet, Wax-Leaf Privet
Botanical Name: Ligustrum spp. (L. obtusifolium is very common) (li-GUS-trum)
Decorative Life: 2-3 weeks.
Post Harvest Care
- Remove bottom leaves if present, recut stems under water and place into a bleach solution made with about 20 drops (1/4 teaspoon) per quart of water, hydration or flower food solution. It is doubtful that flower food is advantageous.
Harvest Instructions: Supplemental iron may sometimes be required to apply during production to provide customers with the desired green foliage. However, apply with caution as foliage damage can result.
- Member of the Oleaceae (olive family).
- Native mainly to Asia while some species come from Europe, North Africa and Australia.
- Common relatives include forsythia, ash, jasmine and osmanthus.
- This species has smooth, waxy leaves of various sizes and shapes along woody stems which are cut to various lengths.
- Plant is an evergreen shrub or tree, classed as a dicotyledon.
Flower Color: Not applicable.
Storage Specifics: Can be stored at 34-38 degrees F for 3-5 weeks.
- The specific epithet name obtusifolium is in reference to the shape of its leaves.
- Ligustrum is the Latin name for privet.