1 entry found.
Common Name: Kalanchoe
Botanical Name: Kalanchoe blossfeldiana (kal-an-KO-ee)
Decorative Life: From 4-7 plus weeks, depending on environment and cultivar. The life of individual flowers can range from 20-45 days, depending mainly on cultivar. Once flowering stops, plants can continue for months.
Post Harvest Care
- Do not lay plants on their side as this species is geotropic, bends up when placed horizontally.
- Select cultivars that naturally last longer such as ''Nathalie', 'Eternity' and 'Charme'.
Harvest Instructions: Postharvest flower life was increased if the plants were grown under low (70%) relative humidity compared to ones grown under higher (81-93%) levels. Growing plants using 150 ppm nitrogen produced longer lasting plants after harvest than those grown using 200-300 ppm. Harvest when 10-25% of flowers are open.
- Member of the Crassulaceae (orpine family).
- Native to mostly Africa and Madagascar.
- Common relatives include air plant, hens-and-chickens and sedum.
- Flowers star-like, about 1/2 inch across, in large, loose clusters held above leaves.
- Leaves to 4 inches long and 3 inches across, thick and fleshy with rounded margins.
- Flowers are not fragrant.
Flower Color: Yellow, pink, orange.
Storage Specifics: One report states that this species can be shipped at 34-68F for 4-8 days with no or little loss in postharvest life. Another reports shows that just 2 days in darkness at 75F can cause leaf yellowing. Whether these observed differences are cultivar and/or temperature related is unknown.
- Kalanchoe adapted from Chinese name.
- Many members of this family are noted for their dense and compact growth. For example, Sempervivum tectorum has a common name of roof houseleek because it can be grown on roofs and acts as shingles. Another more common name for this same species is hen-and-chickens.
- Will generally do well in light levels at least bright enough to read a newspaper in comfort but more light would be better.
- Some favorite cultivars and their respective flower colors include 'Majestic' (rose/red) and 'Revelry' (yellow).