1 entry found.
Common Name: Cabbage, Kale, Ornamental Cabbage, Ornamental Kale
Botanical Name: Brassica oleracea var. acephala (BRAS-si-ca o-ler-ACE-ee-a)
Decorative Life: 5 days.
Post Harvest Care
- Odor and fungal infection are two concerns.
- Member of the Brassicaceae or Cruciferae (mustard family).
- Native to Europe.
- Related species include cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi and broccoli.
- Ruffled leaves occur in a rosette on a thick stem.
- Stems 6-8 inches long.
- Plant is an annual, classed as a dicotyledon, leaves not parallel veined.
- Odor of plant parts may be offensive.
Availability: Summer, autumn.
Flower Color: Not applicable.
Storage Specifics: 32-34F.
- The variety name "acephala" means headless. The specific epithet name "oleracea" generally means of the garden.
- Cruciferae means cross, referring to the flower petals positioned as a cross. In obvious reference to Jesus and the crucifix.
- Color of leaves can vary from shades of green to cream or purple.