1 entry found.
Common Name: Papyrus, Lion's Head Papyrus, Egyptian Paper Weed
Botanical Name: Cyperus papyrus (si-PAIR-us pa-PY-rus)
Decorative Life: 14-21 days.
Post Harvest Care
- Remove bottom leaves if present, recut stems under water and place into water plus regular household bleach at 20 drops (1/4 teaspoon) per quart.
- Member of the Cyperaceae (sedge family).
- Native to Central Africa.
- Related species include Carex and Eleocharis.
- Short, stiff, grass-like leaves occur in a tuft at stem ends.
- Stems are thick, 24-36 inches long.
- Plant is a herbaceous perennial from a rhizome, classed as a monocotyledon, leaves mostly parallel veined.
Flower Color: Not applicable.
Storage Specifics: 36-41F, in water.
- Cyperus, from the Greek word for sedge.
- The specific epithet name "papyrus" means papery.