1 entry found.
Common Name: Corn, Indian Corn, Maize
Botanical Name: Zea mays (ZEE-a MAYZ)
Decorative Life: Years unless animals or disease attack the cobs.
- Member of Poaceae or Gramineae (grass family).
- Native to tropical America.
- Common relatives include bamboo, grasses, rice and wheat.
- Ornamental structure is developing grain head (cob) with attached leafy bracts.
- Cobs range in length from 4-8 inches.
- Plant is an annual, classed as a monocotyledon, leaves mostly parallel veined.
- No fragrance.
Availability: Summer through fall.
Flower Color: Kernels are white, yellow, red, and/or black.
Storage Specifics: Normally used as dried specimens and as such can be stored at room temperature.
- There are many corn types including sweet, Yankee, pod, pop and dent.