1 entry found.
Common Name: Lily Grass, Liriope
Botanical Name: Liriope spp., Ophiopogon spp. (li-RYE-o-pee, o-fee-o-PO-gon)
Decorative Life: 12-18 days.
Post Harvest Care
- Recut stems under water and place into water plus regular household bleach at 20 drops (1/4 teaspoon) per quart.
- Member of the Liliaceae (lily family).
- Native to China, Japan, Philippines.
- Relatives include lily, tulip, asparagus, daylily and hyacinth.
- Has narrow, grass-like leaves up to 24 inches long.
- Plant is an evergreen herbaceous perennial, classed as a monocotyledon.
Flower Color: Not applicable.
Storage Specifics: 34-38F.
- Liriope was the name of Narcissus' mother and she was a fountain nymph. Ophiopogon is from the Greek "ophis" (a snake) and "pogon" (a beard).
- With over 3000 species, the lily family includes many medicinal and food species in addition to ornamental species. The most common species is L. muscari, a fairly drought-tolerant evergreen groundcover for the garden.
- Foliage can be green, variegated or almost black.