1 entry found.
Common Name: Smilax, Greenbriar
Botanical Name: Asparagus asparagoides (as-PAIR-a-gus as-pair-a-GOY-deez)
Decorative Life: About 7-10 days.
Post Harvest Care
- Keep in humid environment.
Harvest Instructions: Treat with a spray or dip designed and proven to reduce water loss and/or extend life. Misting with water may also be helpful.
- Member of the Liliaceae (lily) family.
- Native to South Africa.
- Common relatives include lily, daylily, hyacinth, tulip and grape hyacinth.
- Has small oval leaves along trailing stems.
- Stems to several feet long, classed as a monocotyledon, leaves mostly parallel veined.
- Plant is a herbaceous perennial from tuberous roots.
Flower Color: Not applicable.
Storage Specifics: Store at 36-41 F with stem ends in water, or soak stems in water lying flat on plastic.
- Stems are often wired together for strength, popular in wedding work.
- For those Chain of Life Network Members wanting more detailed information about the florists' greens industry, it is highly recommended that Robert Stamps' article entitled Florists' Botanicals (2001) be read.