1 entry found.
Common Name: Polka-Dot Plant, Measles Plant, Flamingo Plant
Botanical Name: Hypoestes phyllostachya (hy-po-ES-teez fil-o-STAK-ee-a)
Decorative Life: Months to many years.
Harvest Instructions: Should be treated with a growth retardant to make more compact plants both at the time of sale and for months thereafter. Not all growth retardants have equal effectiveness but chlormequat seems to work well.
- Member of the Acanthaceae (acanthus family).
- Native to Madagascar.
- Common relatives include Aphelandra, Crossandra, black-eyed-Susan and shrimp-plant.
- Leaves are mostly oval, 2-3 inches long, on slender stems.
- Leaves spotted with pink or white blotches, the reason for one or more of its common names.
Flower Color: Not applicable.
Storage Specifics: Chill sensitive, store above 55 degrees F.
- From the Greek "hypo" (below) and "estia" (a house), referring to the bracts that cover the flowers.
- Will generally grow well in light levels bright enough to read a newspaper in comfort.