1 entry found.
Common Name: Balloon Flower, Chinese Bellflower
Botanical Name: Platycodon grandiflora (plat-i-KO-don gran-di-FLOR-a)
Decorative Life: 6-10 days.
Post Harvest Care
- Recut stems under water and place into a fresh flower food solution. If the flower food contains aluminum which many "non clear" ones do, there is a chance that blue-violet flowers could change to blue in a short period.
- Member of the Campanulaceae (bellflower family).
- Common relatives include campanula and throatwort.
- Native to Manchuria and Japan.
- Flowers single or double, white, pink, light blue to dark purple-blue. There are dwarf to very large cultivars.
- Plants usually emerge with purpled flushed stems and leaves, slowly turning into fresh green and tooth edged leaves outlined with dark chocolate-maroon edges.
Availability: Mostly summer.
Flower Color: White, pink, light blue to purple-blue.
- From the Greek 'platys", meaning broad and "kodon" for bell, alluding to the bell-shaped form of the flower.
Recent Findings: Starman et al. (1995) rated this species ('Fungi Blue') as being an average income producer.