1 entry found.
Common Name: Browallia, Amethyst Flower
Botanical Name: Browallia spp. (bro-WAL-ee-a)
Decorative Life: A few weeks to months depending on culture and use.
- A member of the Solanaceae (nightshade) family.
- Common relatives include potato, tomato, pepper, tobacco, petunia and jimson-weed.
- Native to Tropical South America.
- Shrubby perennial, woody at base.
- Leaves to about 3 inches long, ovale ot elliptic. Flowers in upper leaf axils.
Availability: Spring through summer.
Flower Color: Blue or white.
- Named after J. Browall (1705-55), Bishop of Abo, Sweden, a defender of the then unpopular Linnaeus's sexual classification system for plants.
- Good growth habit for hanging baskets.